When it’s time to replace your furnace, there are several things you should assess before making a conclusion on a particular replacement furnace. With your space and your family’s needs in mind, Gopher Heating and Air Conditioning can help you find the furnace that will keep your home warm and comfortable.
One of the first aspects you need to think about is which fuel source your new furnace will use. The majority of furnaces in North America use natural gas, but some homes are set up to use liquified petroleum gas, propane or even electricity. It’s vital to know which type of fuel is required for your new furnace.
You’ll also want to determine which type of furnace you’d prefer to successfully meet your needs. Furnaces are offered in single-stage, two-stage or variable capacity models. A single-stage furnace blows heat consistently at one speed and isn’t the strongest in efficiency amid these options. A two-stage furnace works well for many homes. Stage one of a two-stage furnace works at about 65 percent of its capacity, and stage two will kick in for a heating increase on the chilly Savage days. However, if you want to go for the ultimate choice in flexibility and efficiency, a variable capacity furnace may be right for you.
Different from single- and two-stage models, variable capacity furnaces don’t have a certain number of stages to go through to provide heat. A variable capacity furnace can actually work at different capacities to meet your heating needs.
Whether you want to incorporate a zoning system with your replacement furnace is another consideration. You could save money by more efficiently using your furnace to heat the areas you typically use, rather than trying to keep the whole house at the same temperature. If you want more information about zoning solutions for your home, Gopher Heating and Air Conditioning can help.
Another key part of selecting the best furnace for your home is ensuring it’s the proper size for your house. If your furnace is too large for your home’s heating needs, it will waste a lot of energy continuously cycling on and off. If your furnace is too small, it won’t be able to provide adequate heat on the coldest Savage days.
Last, but certainly not least, you need to review your furnace’s energy efficiency rating. A furnace’s efficiency is determined by annual fuel utilization efficiency (AFUE). This rating represents the ratio of annual heat output of the furnace compared to the total annual fossil fuel energy it consumes. For example, an 80 percent AFUE rating means that 80 percent of energy in the fuel heats the home and the other 20 percent escapes through places like the furnace venting. In order to have a high-efficiency furnace, make sure to find a system with an AFUE rating of 90 to 98.7 percent.
As you can see, it helps to do some research when looking for a replacement furnace. But, we can help. Gopher Heating and Air Conditioning is here to answer all of your questions and help you select a furnace that matches your home and heating needs. Chat with our technicians at 952-373-0377 or book an appointment with us online.