While winter weather seems like it’s already been around for much too long, its influence on our heating bill is just starting. Keeping energy costs low during the coldest months of the year can be challenging, but that doesn’t mean you can’t take steps to possibly decrease those costs. That’s why we’ve developed a few furnace tips to help keep heating bills from skyrocketing.
To take aim at lowering your heating bills and increasing your energy efficiency this winter, consider:
- Keeping your blinds open over the warmest hours of the day to bring sunlight in, helping warm your home naturally.
- Sealing leaks around your home’s windows and doors with caulk or weather stripping.
- Adding a programmable thermostat so that you can more easily control the temperature in your home, which will also enhance energy efficiency.
- Cleaning or replacing your furnace filter every few months.
- Checking your home's heating vents to ensure they are open and aren’t blocked by any obstructions
- Replacing your old furnace with a newer, more efficient model if your current furnace is more than 15 years old.
- Installing insulation to your attic to keep heat from escaping.
- Checking your roof to ensure your shingles are intact, and that there aren’t holes or cracks that will need to be sealed.
Trying to keep your energy bills to a minimum and energy efficiency at a maximum, is a year-round battle, one that can seem overwhelming at times. However, that doesn’t mean that you can’t do a few small things to make sure you’re keeping your bills as low as possible. If you have any questions related to the tips above or questions about how you can lower your heating bills, give us a call at 952-373-0377. Our experts are here to help make sure your home is comfortable all year long, even with the crazy Savage weather.