When you’re wanting methods to lower energy bills, getting a smart thermostat is a smart decision. These devices learn your favorite temperatures and routine and then develop an energy-efficient schedule that matches. What’s even better is that you can change and keep an eye on your settings from almost anywhere with your phone, whether you’re lying in bed or out and about. (You might even be able to receive a free smart thermostat depending on rebate programs from your utility provider in Savage.)
In most instances, adding a smart home thermostat with the support of Gopher Heating and Air Conditioning is a simple process if you have a newer house. But what if your home is older or doesn’t have the right wiring? Can you still have a smart thermostat without C wire? We’ll help you navigate the process so you can choose the proper thermostat and receive energy savings for many years.
What Is a C Wire and What Does It Do on a Thermostat?
Most programmable thermostats need batteries. When you’re upgrading to a smart thermostat, you’ll learn that many require a C wire, or common wire, for power. If you don’t have this wire, your new thermostat might cause your heating and cooling system to have malfunctions.
You can determine if you have a C wire by doing the following:
- Turn off power to the thermostat at the breaker.
- Remove the thermostat and look at the wiring.
- If there are five or six multicolored wires, you have what you need for a smart thermostat. You might be thinking what color is the C wire on a thermostat—and the answer to that is usually blue.
- If there are three or four thin multicolored wires, you’re nearly there. Make sure the C wire isn’t rolled up within the wall. If you can’t find one, we may be able to add one for you or you may be able to use your new thermostat without one.
- If you have two thick wires, you may be able to run a smart thermostat with an adaptor specifically for high-voltage systems. Or you may be able to use a battery-powered smart thermostat, like the Lux Geo Wi-Fi Thermostat, if your wiring won’t work and you don’t want to put in new wiring.
Do Nest or ecobee Need a C Wire?
Two of the most popular brands are the Nest smart thermostat and ecobee smart thermostat. If you have two to four wires, these thermostats could work for your needs.
Nest says its thermostats are created to consume not a lot of power and can frequently share it with your HVAC system. However, you may need to have a pro like Gopher Heating and Air Conditioning install a C wire with the Nest Thermostat E or Nest Learning Thermostat if you’re running into power problems or a battery that’s constantly drained.
ecobee connects with 24-volt systems (ones with three to six thermostat wires) and includes a C wire adaptor. So, you’re covered if you don’t have a thermostat C wire.
Trust Gopher Heating and Air Conditioning for Your Smart Thermostat Installation Needs
At Gopher Heating and Air Conditioning, we’re always on the lookout for methods to keep you more comfortable while keeping utility bills reasonable. If you have questions about upgrading to a smart thermostat without a C wire, give us a call at 952-373-0377. We can help you select the right model for your home and even put in new wiring if required.