Whether you like winter or desire the warmer months in Savage, a lot of us make adjustments to ensure our home’s temperature keeps us comfortable. This can have a huge impact on your utility costs, but there are steps you can take to help lower those costs.
- Check weather stripping – After many years, the seals around your windows and doors can crack or become weathered. Walk around your home to identify any drafts that have to be addressed.
- Take advantage of your blinds – If your windows have blinds, they can be valuable in keeping your space warm. Keep them open when the sun is shining during the day, and make sure to close them at night, so the warmer air doesn’t escape.
- Change your filter – Check your filter continually to see if it should be switched out. We recommend at least once every three months, but time between replacement can vary among households.
- Buy a programmable thermostat – They may seem like just a convenient way to make sure your home keeps warm, but programmable thermostats can also save you money! You can arrange temperatures to be cooler when you are away from the home or sleeping. Using your heat more efficiently helps lower your bill.
- Add insulation to your attic – Take a look and see if you have an adequate amount of insulation. Because heat rises, insulation in your attic is a powerful tool to lower the chances of heat escaping.
- Book routine maintenance – Just like we visit the doctor to get checkups, your heating system needs to have checkups, too. Hiring professionals to clean and maintain your system will confirm that your system is working effectively and efficiently. They can also catch small issues that could end up as more pricey repairs if ignored.
- Assess your HVAC system – If it seems like your monthly heating costs are continually increasing—despite your efforts to enhance efficiency—it might be time to purchase a replacement heating system. The team at Gopher Heating and Air Conditioning can help you review the performance of your HVAC system and walk through the choices for newer, more efficient models.
Not only will these steps decrease the amount of money you are having to spend on heating bills, but many of them can help your heating system operate more efficiently. More efficient energy use also supports the health of your equipment, which means your system will last longer.
If you need routine maintenance on your heating system or would like an expert to provide insight on reducing energy costs—we’ve got you covered. Give Gopher Heating and Air Conditioning in Savage a call to start down the right path. You can reach us at 952-373-0377 or book an appointment with us online.